Insurance agent reciprocioty

Insurance agent and producer license reciprocity refers to a mutual agreement between states that says a producer holding a license in his or her home state can successfully apply for a license in another state without having to take that state’s exam or pre-licensing course.

If you’re familiar at all with adjuster reciprocity you’ll know that there are limits since not all states are reciprocal with each other. Lucky for you, as a producer, that’s not the case! Any state will allow you to get your license there with the same line of authority without having to take a course or exam. Holding multiple state licenses will allow you to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance policies across state lines so you can increase your customer base and your income.

A few things to note:

  1. You must have a resident license and it must be active and in good standing with your home state
  2. You’ll still have to submit the appropriate paperwork and pay state licensing fees
  3. You must register your home state license and any nonresident licenses with
  4. Reciprocity only works for the same lines of authority. If you’d like to have a different line of authority in a different state you’ll need to take a course and exam.

Remember, reciprocity isn’t a magic wand that grants licenses automatically once you have obtained your home state. You still need to go through the application process and pay the licensing fees in order to get the other states’ licenses. You can submit your application for your reciprocal licenses on NIPR.